My photo
Tennessee, United States

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Time



Met-ro-nome: n.   Music
A device used to mark time by means of regularly recurring ticks or flashes at adjustable intervals.

Time: a system or method of measuring or reckoning the passage of time.



In response to an update blog by Cory (http://kawaii-fall.blogspot.com), the idea of "time" hit me. This world is so bogged down by this word. It causes stress and counter-productiveness, the very opposite of what we all strive for. After thinking about it, I've come to realization and the belief, I don't like "time" and I don't believe it exists. How can you define something with itself? What is time? Well... it's... time. But WHAT is it?

In music we use metronomes. Their cause (as previously stated) is to mark "time" - beats in which a note is given value and counts - by ticks or flashes. Time, here, can be defined without itself. Music is therefore "timeless". It is real. It is impossible to escape.

"Be here at this 'time.'" Be here when we are. When that clock says this combination of numbers, we will be here, and we would hope so would you. That clock has nothing to do with defining time. It's nothing but numbers, not even accurate in reference to the song "It's 5 o'clock somewhere." - It is this section of the day somewhere, always - The sun doesn't believe in "time". The sun is real. It is impossible to escape.

As to Cory's blog, he seems stressed. I know he's stressed. He feels bogged down by "time" and little he has to get things done. Everyone feels that way. However, who's to say how much "time" he really has? He could die tomorrow, he could live to be 150 with medical break throughs. There is no defined "time" in which he has to do what he wants, there is just where he is to do what he feels needs to be done. So who's to say he HAS to do something? Something I love about Cory is that he's eager to advance in what he's currently passionate about. There is no "I'm doing this. period." It's more "I feel like doing this, and I wonder how far it will go." That wonder pushes him into his own Ivory Tower of sorts. (I apologize if this seems jumpy)

Basically, people let a theory get to them too much. They feel stared down by a reaper and pushed too much by reality. If people would take the "time" to look at everything, all their opportunities and what they really feel is necessary for them to be happy, and actually devote themselves to that, then "time" becomes a theory again. Reality dwindles to an annoying mosquito that you HAVE to deal with, but it's nothing huge, and people would be happy and productive again, or at least feel productive. Then when it is their "time," they can't lie dying saying they wish they had had more or they regret those hours infront of the tv killing "time". Well, they can but they can also say they did something. And that something remains if not for a "time," it will affect other people causing them to pursue what they feel is necessary in their "time" and the cycle continues, it doesn't end. It is timeless. It is real.

But then we open up Pandora's Box to a whole new realm of "what is real?" And like a movie, I leave you on that note for further blogs to come, if not for my own journey, to question yours.

Ciao.

1 comment:

  1. "What is time? Well... it's... time." Haha, I love you Taylor.

    "Time" is what limits most of us today, as you have stated.

    "There is no 'I'm doing this. period.' It's more 'I feel like doing this, and I wonder how far it will go.' That wonder pushes him into his own Ivory Tower of sorts."

    I don't think that is jumping into things, I think it is a wonderful observation.

    Once more, I must say that you have put things in perspective for me... I drew a picture that seems perfect for this subject. I will send it to you later.

    Thanks again, Taytoe, for your wonderful words of wisdom. :D

    ReplyDelete